Haikara-san: Here Comes Miss Modern
Picture Credit: Rosalynn | Official Chirashi
English Title: Haikara-san: Here Comes Miss Modern
Japanese Title: はいからさんが通る
Romanized Title: Haikara-san ga Tooru
Performances: Takarazuka Grand Theater, 07/17 - 08/01 & 09/03 - 09/05; Tokyo Takarazuka Theater, 10/09 - 11/15
Shinjin Kouen Performances: n/a (CANCELED)
Based On: The girls comic series "Haikara-san ga Tōru" by Yamato Waki.
Author / Director: Koyanagi Naoko
Composer: Teshima Kyouko, Fujima Hitoshi
Choreographer: Miori Yumino, Wakao Risa, AYAKO
Shinjin Kouen Director:
Available on Blu-Ray: Yes (release date 11/05/20)
Available on DVD: Yes (release date 11/05/20)
DVD Scene/Music Cut: No
Other Cast: Haruya Yuuri, Mihane Ai, Misato Reina‡, Reiya Rion, Natsuki Manato, Misora Maru, Hoshizora Misaki, Marena Yui, Hatsune Yume, Kohana Uta, Reaki Mira, Hanato Hikari
Due to COVID-19 concerns, the number of actresses on stage at a time has been reduced for the Tokyo run. The younger cast members will be split into two groups, "A days" and "B days".
|A Days Schedule||B Days Schedule|
|10/9 - 25||10/30 - 11/15|
WARNING!! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!
(From official site)
It is April 1918. Spring is in the air. On his way to meet his fiancé in an arranged marriage that was worked out before he was even born, Second Lieutenant Ijūin Shinobu comes across a girl riding her bicycle with her red ribbon flapping in the spring breeze. She goes by the nickname "Haikara-san," meaning "Miss Modern," but her real name is Hanamura Benio. This girl who appears all of a sudden like a whirlwind before Shinobu is in fact his destined partner.
Shinobu's grandmother and Benio's grandfather were once in love, but their romance was torn asunder by the Meiji Restoration, a revolution in Japan that pitted supporters of the shogun against allies of the imperial family. This event made intermarriage impossible between aristocracy like the Ijūin clan and bannermen of the Tokugawa clan who had ruled the shogunate. When the two lovers parted, they exchanged a vow that when the day comes when they could set their differences aside, their two houses would become one. After a generation of only sons and no daughters, the families finally produced a suitable match to fulfill the vow: Shinobu and Benio.
Benio is a dreamer who wants to make her own choices about love and life. She rejects the marriage arranged by her parents as nonsense. Meanwhile, Shinobu is utterly taken by Benio, her cheerfulness, and her tenacious intensity. However, as he finds himself at the tomboy's constant beck and call, Shinobu finds that they have some very different ideas...
It's hard to say where the turbulent romance between Shinobu and Benio will lead.
- Grand Theater top star debut for Yuzuka Rei.
- Haikara-san was first performed by Flower Troupe in 2017 at Theater Drama City and Nippon Seinenkan.
- Wikipedia page on Haikara-san
- † Announced 09/03/20: Mano Kazuma and Miku Rinka out due to illness from the 11AM performance on 9/3 onward. The company confirmed their illness is not related to COVID-19.
- ‡ Announced 09/04/20: Misato Reina out due to illness from the 11AM performance on 9/4 onward. The company confirmed her illness is not related to COVID-19.
Merchandise Cover Art
- Originally scheduled to open on March 11th, a series of cancellations due to the COVID-19 coronavirus, urged by the government, meant that the show did not open as scheduled.
- March 11th: the show was closed from March 13th - March 19th.
- March 18th: announced the show would remained closed.
- March 22nd: the show was to reopen on March 27th.
- March 25th: the show would remain closed until further notice.
- June 15th: the Grand Theater run of the show was rescheduled to run from July 17th to September 5th, with the Tokyo run TBA.
- July 21st: the Tokyo Theater run of the show was scheduled to run from October 10th to November 15th.
- August 2nd: due to one of the people involved in the production having a high temperature, performances on Aug. 2-4 were cancelled, including the shinjin kouen.
- August 4th: due to multiple positive coronavirus tests, the show was suspended through the 16th.
- August 14th: show performances were suspended through the 31st, with show dates TBD and shinjin kouen cancelled.
- August 27th: Show will reopen on September 3rd